Purple has now turned blue... purple is joy, yet blue is hope!

掌握一生的幸福。。。

Sunday, August 26, 2012

DIY - Homemade Salted Duck Egg

Bought these duck eggs from Balik Pulau's fresh market some time ago. It was relatively cheap there, about RM0.60/each, as compared to here for about RM1.00/each.

I remembered browsing through the newspaper before, for some recipe involved. Searched through the internet (again) for a recipe to follow, as I could have misplaced those newspaper cuttings. Roughly found some quick one to follow, rather stumble la!

Apparently they are many method in making, be it dry or wet type. I choose the wet and soak type.

Quick steps, which I could still remember:

1) Wash and brush the eggs clean, keep them to dry
2) Boil about 1 litre of water. (there are many times and spices you could use to prepare the salted liquid). I choose to use English breakfast tea with red chili for its flavoring. Boil them with rock salt (I used 2 small packet of rock salt, it was slightly too salty. Perhaps 1 packet of 100gm salt is good enough).
3) After boiling for 5min, cool them down.
4) Prepare a glass container to place the egg.
5) Once the salted liquid has completely cool down, pour them into the glass container with eggs.
6) Keep them in cool dry place for about 3 weeks.

Here's my result. It was perfectly made. Except for the slightly over salty to my taste, and its look! ;)
Texture after cooked was alright. The egg skin was rather brownish, all thanks to the tea color. I would change other flavoring next time.

Brownish Eggs


After Boiled

Going with my fried rice

Ta-da, ready for my meal
Some Recipe I went through (in Chinese):-

Happy trying :)

No comments: